Monday 1 June 2015

More fun and games

It's been a pretty painful couple of weeks again. Not long I recovered from my chest infection, I was asked to help move some furniture. It was fine, quite heavy, but that evening I noticed my knee was aching. The next morning it was agony and it took ages to get better. After a week I went to the doctor and she made me bend it to the point of agony, but basically just said to keep taking ibuprofen. I was sent for an X-ray though as this isn't the first time this has happened and she thought there might be something wrong, but it came back clear. I'm a bit worried about next week though as there is some server hardware to move in work and I don't want to do it again.

Fortunately it is back to normal now, so I don't have to endure the humilation of hobbling around with my Mum's old walking stick. However I do feel that it might be a symptom of how unfit I've become over the last few months and to do something about it seems to be wise.

I'm also really conscious that I've not been to archery for so long now. I've been thinking about how to integrate it now that my life is changing quite a bit and I think I've come up with a plan, hopefully.

Work has been a bit stressful, due to large system upgrade of the social services system, which has been in the planning for literally years. It was all done last weekend, it took quite some time on the Friday and half of Saturday. Fortunately, apart from a few niggles it has gone well and is working OK. There do seem to be speed issues, but that appears to be because the application servers are only 32-bit and therefore limited to only 4gb RAM. I'm really glad this has gone OK because it was dumped on me after one of my colleagues left, and it's been looming for weeks. There's still plenty of work to do of course, but at least this big upgrade has been done.

In other news, I've not been doing much. I've been idly looking at cars, but was handicapped by my knee - I was hoping to replace the C3 before the tax ran out but I've now taxed it.

I'm still intrigued by smart watches, but have decided that while the Pebble does have decent battery life, it's a bit too far in the stripped down direction so have got rid of it in favour of an LG G Watch R. It's one of the models with a round screen. It's an interesting question whether a square or round screen works better. I think the round screen is aesthetically more pleasing, but of course not as good for displaying information. Anyway I've only got it today so we'll see how it goes.

Had a great night with a few guys from work the other week on a Friday. One of the guys has just got a house so we had a night in with Akira on DVD and pizza, which was great. It was one of the days that my knee was particularly bad though so I ended up embarrassingly being waited on hand and foot. The food was from a kebab shop which is not far from work and is very good, and is a dangerous temptation at lunchtimes.

There was also a DnD session in Rob G's new house a couple of weeks ago. It was good, but not much play went on due to not having seen each other in a while and their 3 month old golden retriever wanting to play with everyone. It was good fun though, although I had to apologise the next day as a combination of my knee hurting and tiredness made for a quite a grouchy DM that night.

Been rewatching some old movies and Star Trek episodes with special person, which has been good fun. Highlights included The Commitments, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which we watched yesterday with large quantities of popcorn.

The work on the house has halted for a little while now that the kitchen is basically done apart from painting. The next step is decorating the hall and living room, which will be quite an undertaking. That is due to start in a fortnight or so.

No comments: