Monday 18 November 2013

Holiday cut short

Last week was OK. Went to the gym a couple of times, and then it was time to take over the responsibility of the dog. I had to take leave on Friday until this coming Wednesday.

I was gutted that I couldn't make it to the rugby league on Saturday, especially after Rob managed to get them into the corporate box. However I was able to watch the Wales Argentina match live. I went down to see them afterwards but they couldn't get it on iPlayer, so it was a bit ironic that I saw it when they couldn't.

Then on Sunday, one of the systems in work didn't come back after I had to reboot it as part of the process to set up a replica of it on the new hardware it was due to be moved to. Due to the remote access system not being very stable, I had to go into work today to sort it and and migrate the system to the new hardware. I don't know why the system didn't come up again - it must be some sort of hardware failure as it refused to see either of the mirrored boot disks. Anyway, after a stressful few hours, it was up and running with very little issue.

I had to take the dog with me though, and although he doesn't mind being left in the car, I had to take him out for a little walk at some point, and because people in work had heard a lot about him, I took him in to meet them. He was OK for a while but wouldn't settle down because of all the new people, so I had to put him back in the car again. Poor old boy.

Circuits was quite hard tonight, partly because I woke up so early to get into work at a good time. Also because Rob G and Andy decided to turn the running station into a sprint station. I was able to keep up for a little while but had to give up. However I've been watching some Youtube videos on how to improve your running technique, which I think have helped.

Back into work on Wednesday, hopefully will have a nice quiet day tomorrow.

Got a new project machine, a used Asus G73 off Ebay. It was spares or repair because it was missing the hard drives and was therefore a fraction of the price it would have been otherwise. I was interested in it because it was the other serious contender to when I bought the big Alienware. I've put my old 128gb SSD and a 500gb hard drive into it,and so far it works fine. It's similar in spec to the big Alienware, but only has a single graphics card and fewer ports. However it does have a nicer keyboard and four memory slots, and the cooling system seems nicely implemented. Not quite sure what I'll do with it yet.

No comments: