Monday 4 November 2013

Things

The weekend was good fun. Saturday was a busy day. I went to the gym in the morning after failing to go on Friday, which was a good workout. Then it was meeting up with Amy and others from Proact for a meal in Wetherspoons to hand over the present we got for Pam who is due to give birth in about 8 weeks time. It was a really nice time. We hung out at Amy's for a bit afterwards. With three cats and a baby it's a busy house! After that it was off to Rob G's for a Halloween bash, which was good fun. Not everyone dressed up, but it was fun to see those who did. Good times.

Yesterday it was off to watch Wales vs USA in the Rugby League championships. I think it's the first time I've been to a live league game since we went to see Wrexham vs Leeds, and for whatever reason the crowd seemed very rowdy and footbally, which put me off rather. However the atmosphere was pretty good yesterday but it was a shame that Wales played really badly and lost quite epically. Oh well. I find League quite easy to follow though.

On the way home however, my car died. I think this was because I'd been saying to Rob and the others about how I was pleased with it and was considering treating it to winter tyres. It turned on the engine light and ran really badly, if it would start at all. I got it to the bottom of the track this morning and a garage has had a look. I had horrible things like injectors or fuel pump going through my head, but it turned out a connector had come loose at the top of the engine. So, all being well, I get it back tomorrow.

In other news, I have to admit I got a 2DS last week. My 3DS XL is out of action while it's being painted, and I was very intrigued by the 2DS and the reports that it's easy to hold. It's absolutely fantastic. The design may look strange, but it's mega comfy to hold, and the shoulder buttons are worth it alone. The smaller screens than the XL look better because the pixel density is higher. The only downside really is the single speaker, but headphones get around that. It's interesting to see that it's a single screen under the casing. I have to admit I really like the 3DS platform. All the shovelware makers that plagued the DS have moved onto tablet and phone games, so the 3DS has a lot fewer games, but they tend to be of better quality. People keep saying that the 99p games on phones and tablets will kill off the dedicated handheld, but I'm not so sure, since the 99p games tend to be shite novelties.

I've always been intrigued by the Mazda RX-8, not so much because it's a car I'd ever want to own, but I like the styling and the four doors that make it a bit more practical. I was somewhat stunned to discover that they are readily available for peanuts with knackered engines because being a rotary, it's very high maintenance and can be easily killed. Crazy stuff. Of course, useless for me unless you stuck it on a Land Rover chassis or something. Hmm...

No comments: