Wednesday 3 March 2010

Horrific day

Work even worse. Had enough. Ate like shit also.

Had a great geeky evening though. Dug out my Acorn Risc PC that I got for a fiver at a car boot and fired it up to find it will works fine. Great machines, amazingly expandable and RISC OS still feels quite snappy and cool, although very quirky now.

The best thing I managed to do was extract the IDE interface out of my Archimedes 310 and attach it's 105mb hard drive to the Risc PC and transfer the contents to the 510mb drive in the Risc PC. The reason for that was that while the 310 still probably works, I don't have a monitor cable for it. The Risc PC let me view the contents of the 310 drive and there's so much stuff on there I'd forgotten about, a real nostalgic look back. RISC OS is still being developed amazingly, up to version 5.2 or something now, still running on ARM processors and based in ROM. It's so weird to think that the 8mhz ARM2 in my old 310 is the direct ancestor of all the ARM processors used in mobile phones and other devices.

No comments: