Saturday 6 March 2010

I have a new relative (nearly)

The week in work was possibly the most annoying and miserable I have ever had in this job and if next week is anything like it, I'm going to take a flexi day. I've got enough now for nearly two days.

Today was interesting, went to Derby with my Mum to see her brother. I won't lie, I find him and his family a bit tiresome because he's a minister and they are all devout Christians, and he's also a bit...well, weird. Anyway, the reason we were going was to meet a guy who it is almost certain is my Mum and her brother's cousin. He's 70 now and decided to try and find out the details of his birth family and quite quickly came across people where he was born who put him in touch with my family.

It's a bit murky but he seems to be the illegitimate child of their uncle, born in Ireland in 1940. He was taken away from his mother by the nuns and then fostered by someone who relocated to England. He's lived in London ever since. The records aren't great back then though and the nuns wouldn't tell him his father's name over the phone as there's a lot of issues about this, so he has to go and see them in person in June and have counselling and everything. It does seem very likely though. He's got some resemblance to members of my Mum's family and seems to have inherited the trait for practicality and handiness that seems to have been a characteristic of them. So I (almost certainly) have a new 2nd cousin, who seems like a nice guy and has the thickest cockney accent I've ever heard.

Fun times. Tomorrow it's a change of scene as it's off to Rob and Em for the long awaited second session of D&D.

Acorn experiments continue, the Risc PC is now running RISC OS 4 with a 206mhz StrongARM CPU (which I paid £1 for about 10 years ago) and a 20gb hard drive. It's pretty cool, just need to get some stuff sorted out. Also was able to take an image of the Risc PC hard drive with all my old A310 stuff and connect it to an emulator on the PC, so that was really cool.

Doubleneck still drying nicely. Managed to flog some more things on Ebay so might be able to get the pickups and strings earlier than I thought.

No comments: