Monday 13 May 2013

Exercise and food

Went for a 26 mile bike ride with Andy and Steve yesterday, which was good. It was very hard at first - it's been a little while since I did any significant exercise, and it felt like my chest couldn't get the idea of properly deep breaths for a while. But after a couple of miles it settled down. We made the decision to go around Bodelwyddan towards the end of the ride - I didn't want to but was outvoted, and then we got rained on all the way back to St Asaph. I was suffering a bit by that point, but made it to the end OK. I did intend to record it on Strava but hadn't realised it wasn't recording until half way through the ride, but the rest of it worked. I like Strava but I wish it had more offline functionality. Not being able to view the map without an Internet connection is a pain. I also realised just how big the Accord is when I was able to get the bike in without taking the front wheel off.

Then in the evening it was off to the Prosperity in Rhuddlan with my parents. I ate enough to render the bike ride irrelevant, but it was good. I had Chicken in Szechuan sauce with crispy noodles, which was tasty and quite spicy, but in a subtle way.

An OK day in work today. I had some fun shifting some data round onto the new tapes and made the frustrating discovery that one of the tape drives had gone offline with a microcode error on Saturday, and then I found one of the new tapes had a corrupted file that I now need to recover from the offsite copy. There were apparently power issues in the computer room on Saturday though, so I'm assuming that was the cause.

Circuit training tonight. I was expecting it to be hard after a couple of weeks, and it certainly was, but it was managable hard. I particularly despise the sideways plank and the cross thumb pushup. Also I think running exercise classes would be a good career choice if you are a sadist.

I wasn't sure what else I could sell on Ebay - after a prolonged bout of selling and taking stuff to the tip I seem to have run a little low on things to get rid of. Then I remembered my collection of Rupert annuals - for some reason my parents kept getting me one every Christmas until I was 21. Some of the older ones are worth a bit, so I dug them out and cleaned them up. Fortunately they are in reasonable condition despite not having been touched for years. I have fond memories of reading Rupert - some of the stories are pretty fucked up and I always liked the stories which had crazy machines in them, perhaps one of the reasons I tend to like sciencey things.

No comments: