Monday 27 May 2013

Exercise

It's been a fairly eventful week.

Tuesday last week was DnD,which was at Sarah's place in Wrexham. It was a good session with a few funny moments, especially when we came up with the concept of a 'mentor with benefits', which was simultanously disturbing and hilarious.

I was all set to go to the gym on Wednesday evening, but Rob and Em were going to see the new Star Trek with Ed and Sian, and there was a spare seat, so I tagged along. We grabbed a hasty KFC and then headed in to see it. It was really good, thoroughly enjoyed it.

On Thursday I went to the gym instead of Wednesday as badminton is still cancelled, and had a really good session. The best exercise was the cross-trainer. I got on it and spent 30 minutes alternating between effort 8 and 10 every few minutes. I only got off because you aren't supposed to be more than 20 minutes and someone needed it. The machine reckoned I burnt 270 calories and my heart rate stayed at a sensible level the whole time, which was good.

Saturday was a repeat of last week's 31 mile bike ride, which we did quite a bit quicker than before - not the actual riding time, but the overall time was less as we didn't stop as often. It was a really nice day for it, very sunny. After that it was over to Steve's in the evening for movie night he had arranged. Attendance was lower than expected but it was still a fun evening, albeit with ridiculous amounts of food.

Yesterday I went to visit my Dad. We hung out for most of the day. I took my mountain bike over to give it a bit of attention after the nasty ride on it a couple of weeks ago, gave it a good clean up and oiled it where necessary. It was a lovely day and the Accord was covered in mud and looking sorry for itself so we gave it a good clean as well.I hadn't realised how much brake dust was on the wheels, and they cleaned up really nicely. Also topped up the oil as it was a little low.

My Dad also persuaded me to have a look at SPDs on the road bike. He's got a spare pair of shoes with cleats that fit me, and the pedals themselves are only cheap. I like the idea of them but will take some getting used to I'd imagine.

In the evening went to the pub with Andy, Rob T and Rob G, which was nice. We went to a couple of pubs which were either quite busy or completely dead as people seemed to be going around the town in clumps. It was nice to simply hang out and chat though. Also made the curious discovery that Iron Maiden have made a beer called Trooper, which Rob said was quite nice. As much as I like the band, my dislike of beer is probably going to mean I won't end up tasting it.

Today was typical bank holiday weather - rain all day, scuppering any plans for another bike ride. Spent much of the day finishing Motley Crue: The Dirt. Not a band I was hugely familiar with, although I did hear the Dr Feelgood album when I was quite young, and was vaguely aware of the antics of the band members in the 90s. But it goes way beyond what I ever imagined - how any of them are still alive is beyond me. It's completely bonkers, but somehow it's a very compelling read, perhaps because it seems so upfront and honest.

Need to catch up with Doctor Who, I lost interest a bit after the uninspiring submarine one, but I've been assured that it got better after that. I've got hold of the last episode but not any of the others, might just have to skip to the end.

No comments: