Thursday 15 May 2014

Urgh

Too long since writing anything.

I had a 6-day weekend for my birthday, which was decent enough, and quite eventful. The original offer on the house was withdrawn, frustratingly, but we had a couple more viewings. A rather dedicated woman drove up from Essex on my birthday, setting off at about 7am, and arriving at midday. She looked around for two hours and then drove home. She also met the neighbours which was in a way good thing. She must have liked it because she has put an offer in anyway.

On Friday it was the funeral of Simon's Dad, who died the week before. Amy and Mark and Pam and I went to it to support Simon, even though we didn't know his Dad all that much. It was a big event as it's one of those families that seems to be half the town, and it was good to see so many people there showing their respects.

My birthday on Saturday happened to coincide with Eurovision, so the evening was spent round at Rob and Em's place for the now traditional Eurovision party. It's pretty entertaining when there's 15 people in the room taking the piss out of it.

Otherwise the weekend was OK. My Mum's car broke down yesterday which was annoying it was stuck in such a position that I had to pull it by hand out of the gate until it started to roll. I then had to roll it all the way down the track, backwards, with no power steering or brakes, scary. It's been taken away by a garage who diagnosed a minor problem with the fuel system.

Work has been OK since I went back. Had to stay last night to swap out two blower assemblies in a BladeCenter H. It has two, and will run for one minute with one removed before it shuts down, so it was a bit scary. Fortunately it went OK. Today was sorting out the AS/400 backups which had gone all out of sequence and was getting itself into a mess.

Running not so good. I was going to go on Tuesday on my last day off but the weather was so shit I went to the gym instead. Nothing wrong with that but I find the treadmill terribly difficult compared to running on the road. I was hoping to get the bike sorted out over the weekend but didn't get around to it.

Diet has been shit too, no idea why I do this to myself. I've lost two kilos, but it seems that whenever I lose any actual weight I try to start sabotaging it. Perhaps it's some kind of self-hate thing to ensure I remain forever alone, which seems to be inevitable at this point. I seemed to be always destined to be the third wheel, that one awkward single person in a room full of couples.

Done some stupid things too. I've decided the Surface Pro is nice but not really much use to me as I never use it as a tablet, so I've obtained a Yoga 2 Pro to replace it after really liking the Yoga 13. It's an interesting machine, but I didn't realise how different it was. It's got a French keyboard, which is a bit of a problem as it's not as easy to remove as the original Yoga, and the RAM is soldered. Fortunately the SSD is removable, which is a bonus over the completely sealed Surface Pro. The crazy part is the 3200x1800 display, which is a bit of an issue when things don't know how to scale to it properly. Will have to see how that goes. It also had a a French operating system, which I've now just wiped. However the new installation of Windows 8 doesn't quite get that it has to scale to the 3200x1800 display so everything is hyper tiny. I've solved the keyboard problem with stickers for now as the French layout is a bit strange. The machine is also the rather vibrant orange version, which is certainly different.

Probably stuff that I've forgotten to put on here but I don't care, and I'm tired and pissed off.

No comments: