Saturday 4 October 2008

A fun day

Spent the morning with Will going to a market/car boot thing and taking photographs. The car boot was a bit crap and the only thing interesting was watching a load of people being brainwashed by one of those peculiar auction type things. We watched for at least 15 minutes but had no idea what was going on. 


After that we went to Talacre beach to take photographs. Will had a spare tripod which I tried out as I'd never used one before. It was really handy but as it and the camera were quite light, it kept getting blown over by the rather high winds. It did however let me do a decent HDR picture of the beach, composed of several images at different exposure values and then combined in Qtpfsgui


This is another one. The shots for this one were a bit all over the place but the program has an auto-align feature which actually works. After that we went and looked at Prestatyn from up high before finishing the trip with pizza.

I spent the afternoon watching yet more Red Dwarf while dismantling the Monstrosity 2 and starting to give it a black and silver paint job. It's been a long time since I've painted a bass or anything. I'm not expecting the body to look any good because of all the crap left on it from my attempt at stripping the old finish. I decided to paint the headstock to match but I took the slightly unusual step of painting the fretless fingerboard as well. The whole thing is a bit of an experiment. If it works, great, if not, no real loss as the body and neck were fairly cheap and crappy anyway. It would be easy enough to build another, all it takes is a Strat body and a fretless bass neck, both available cheaply on Ebay.

Something that struck me about Red Dwarf VIII is that they put absolute tons of references in to older series, so much that it's really noticable. To be honest, series VII and VIII weren't great but they do have their moments that make them watchable.

No comments: