Friday 31 October 2008

Ubuntu 8.10

The Intrepid Ibex is out, which should be good. It looks like they've replaced the network manager, which has got to be a good thing. The old one was total crap and was such a bitch to use with wireless networks. Unfortunately it's still very brown, although the default wallpaper is rather nice.

I'm installing it on the Inspirons original hard drive, which contained the VIsta Ultimate install that the machine shipped with. I backed up some data on it and blew it away without much regret since the main hard drive contains XP which runs better on the machine.

I don't know what it is with Vista, but I can't get on with it. I like the look of it but when I start to use it, its as if I'm fighting against it to get things done. It's probably because I am so used to XP and Linux. It's a shame Mac OS X had so many broken things on the Inspiron.

No comments: