Monday 12 April 2010

Laptop shuffling

The graphics card in the Inspiron 9400 has gone again in the same way as it did previously. I guess I could get it repaired again but I just can't be arsed. It's a bit annoying that it's gone again as I was using software to run the fans more than the default BIOS settings but unfortunately at the same time that meant it's picked up more dust and so the heat killed it again. I've reluctantly decided to sell it on Ebay for spares with the least decent of the various components of all the machines in use. Gutted as I really liked that machine. Need something to replace it as it was the only machine currently in use with a half-decent graphics card.

Looking into alternatives to Dell, and given that there's a big question mark over Nvidia chip failures (which the 9400 is a victim of) I'd prefer something with ATI graphics. Currently possibilities are the Thinkpad T61 which are very solidly built, or possibly a relatively recent Acer. A bit of a problem is that a lot of new laptops, especially for the consumer market, come with glossy screens, which I absolutely detest.

Walked the dog today and went to the gym but my foot started twinging again so didn't do a full workout at the gym, but the exercise combined with reasonably sensible eating has left me feeling a lot better. Perhaps strangely I go to the gym quite late in the evening but I like it as I come home feeling pleasantly tired and ready for a good sleep. Works for me anyway.

I wish I could overcome my fear of the treadmill.

No comments: