Tuesday 15 April 2014

A few strange days

Last week was not good. I spent Wednesday and Thursday working until 9pm with system updates that were being done by a less than competent external company. They got done eventually but neither day was good. There was a repeat of the 5k I did recently on Friday evening and I had planned to do it, but by the time it came around I was not in the mood, although I wish I had done it now.

The weekend was OK. Sunday morning was the first session in a beginner's archery course run by the club that Rob and Em have joined. I thought I'd give it a try to see how it was. There are 9 people on the course and there's an interesting mix. I did enjoy it although it's surprising how many muscles it uses, and that was with a fairly low poundage bow.

Yesterday evening I didn't go to the run for fun session, which I now bitterly regret. I went to the gym instead, but wish I'd done the run as it was a nice evening. After that it was time to watch Game of Thrones, which was fucking great, and it's only the 2nd episode of season 4!

My diet has been poor again and I'm worried that my running motivation is failing me, I really need to crack down on it and do some more training.

The Hyundai is still going OK but guzzling fuel as expected. It does seem to have an annoying tendency for the fuel gauge to plummet for a bit and then drop more slowly. My old Vectra did that. On Thursday it's going to have the new ignition barrel installed, and will also be checked out because there's a recall open for it on the rear suspension.

Tonight was spent watching a couple of episodes of South Park and firing up Skyrim. I'm still enjoying it, although it's getting a little quest-overloady at the moment, and I'm not quite sure I'm doing the skills and things right yet.

One slightly interesting thing was that I found my old Amstrad NC100. It's been lying around for years since I got it in around 1995, and it's very rarely had batteries in it. What blew my mind was that when I put batteries in, it fired up with the correct date and it STILL has documents in the memory from nearly 20 years ago! It uses a coin cell battery to keep the RAM going while there's no batteries in it, so I don't think it's ever been fully reset since I got it! That's quite impressive. It's a surprisingly capable little device underneath the 'User-Friendly' branding. It's just a pain that the only way to transfer data on and off it is through the serial port.

No comments: