Sunday 19 December 2010

Still snow

Snow not melted at all today. Still no water.

Didn't really do very much today. Played with the dog outdoors and did some reading on the Internet and some writing.

Dug out an ancient Dell Latitude C810. It's a hefty beast from around 2002 with an 866mhz PIII and 512mb RAM. Not the most poweful machine, but it has a lovely 1400x1050 screen and the best keyboard I have ever used on a laptop. I installed XP on it and set it up as a writing machine with a program called Q10. All was well and I used it for a few hours and then it started to BSOD. Cause uncertain, either the original 10gb hard drive is failing (most likely) or it could be a memory or motherboard issue. Currently running Memtest86+ to rule out the RAM or board. Not really an issue if it's those as I have a spares machine. If it turns out the hard drive I've got plenty of spares that can go in it but a pain. Might be an idea to strip out the heatsink too and regunk it as it seems to be running a little hot.

Back to work if I can get the car moving tomorrow. Bleh.

This site is somehow even more of a time-sink than Youtube:

http://www.tvtropes.org

No comments: