Tuesday 1 March 2011

32gb RAM

This morning was interesting. We hooked up a new AIX server, a Power 720 and had the great ceremonial turning on. Except it didn't fire up. We found after that there was a bracket that we should have removed from the power supply before plugging it all in. Eventually it fired up, and we tried install a mksysb of the old machine on it, which didn't work, but we know why so we can try it again on Thursday. It's a quad-core Power7 with 32gb RAM and will have shedloads of storage attached via the SAN - I think there's 16tb of space but the disks are going to be mirrored, so only 8tb will be available to the system.

Went to the gym last night, and when I went it was nearly empty which was nice. Today walked the dog after work. A bit chilly but nice. Had quite a large wrap for lunch though, containing falafel and humous, delicious but probably rather unhealthy.

Not doing much this evening except checking out a laptop for a guy in work which I think had a faulty hard drive. Swapped it out for a spare and it seems to be running quite well for an elderlyish machine.

Rob has lent me the new Culture book by Iain M Banks - Surface Detail. I'm looking forward to it with some apprehension because while his books are great, it's always a major commitment to start reading one.

New glasses are absolutely spot on with the prescription. I'm amazed at how well I can see with them on, but I'm still adjusting to how they sit on my face as they don't have the same type of nose piece and I think the arms might need tweaking.

No comments: