Saturday 5 March 2011

Flibble

Feeling better today.

Went to Chester this morning to get new trainers. There's a triathlon shop that does all the gait analysis stuff. The guy was very thorough and made me try on six pairs before he was happy that the fit was good. Ended up with some Mizuno ones which are quite possibly the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Hilariously the guy was really impressed with my battered old Asics, apparently they were very good in their day. I had to explain that they were my Dad's cast offs. He also optimistically gave me a leaflet about the Chester marathon in October.

Looked in Back Alley Music and saw a Dean Baby ML in metallic purple. I've always liked the shape of the ML and the colour was nicely at at odds with the rather metal shape. Very cool. It was relatively cheap too, but managed to resist tempation, don't play guitar enough to justify it and I don't think the shape works when it's a bass as it becomes much too long to be sensible.

Found a new Currys/PC World there too, where they had a few nice things. Once again admired the e-ink screen of a Kindle, and also had a look at the Advent Vega tablet which runs Android 2.2. Looks like quite a decent device and half the price of an iPad, but again, what use is it really?

Finally got around to stripping down the HP DV7 laptop. I replaced the noisy CPU fan, which was underneath literally every other component in the machine, necessitating a total stripdown. Also regunked the heatsink with my favourite Arctic Silver 5. Due to the design of the machine, this meant removing about 40 screws to get it apart, and I'm proud to say that once the machine was back together, not one screw was left over. Also replaced the Bluray drive with a new slot-loading one as the original died. Got lucky with the replacement drive - someone on Ebay was selling it cheap because they thought it was just a DVD writer. Once back together the machine works perfectly.

Watching Band of Brothers on Bluray borrowed from Amy. Only two episodes in but it's pretty good so far.

After that carried on my semi-evil character in Mass Effect 1 after not playing either of them in a week. I think when you dream about nothing else it's a sign you've played it too much. Once again ended up earning more paragon points than renegade, but never mind.

No comments: