Thursday 17 March 2011

Fibre fun or not

A slightly frustrating Unix day today because the backup system is being moved to a new server which involves all sorts of shenanigans with the database and all sorts. It's a real nightmare and rather above my level of knowledge, particularly as nobody thinks it might be an idea to go on a course with IBM to cover the details of the migration and the differences between the old and new versions. Annoying as the new version uses a completely different database structure.

Plus a lot of today was getting the new server to talk to the SAN so I got to feed a few orange fibre cables under the floor but didn't really have a clue why as I've never had much to do with it. Oh well. SAN technology is one thing I'd really like to learn more about but not really something I could get equipment at home to play with.

Had a 'rest' day from exercise, due to chips for lunch to comfort Em after it looks like they're going to fuck her over regarding her secondment, and cake for someone's birthday. Cabbaged out with my renegade Shepard in ME2. It's actually quite good fun choosing the renegade options. They're not as twatty as I expected, just rather more forceful and inconsiderate in some cases. It's made amusing by him prancing around in pink armour.

No comments: