Thursday 20 June 2013

Week of fun

Last weekend was good. Went for a bike ride with Andy, which was his first outing on a loaned road bike. He pretty much left me behind the whole time, since it is so much easier to ride than his mountain bike. I was having an off day and really struggled, and had to walk up some hills because my knee was playing up. By the end of it though, my knee was OK. After the ride though, no time to relax as we had to go to Vicky's birthday meal in Rhyl, which was in a really good Italian place. It was a nice evening.

Sunday consisted of playing BioShock Infinite. I thought I was near the end, but there was a whole lot more do to, and then there was a massive fight that I couldn't get past. So I had to turn it off and do something else before I smashed the controller.

Monday was down to Denbigh for a running session, however we all got roped into joining the intermediate group for games, which was a little surreal and like being back in school. Only Andy managed to avoid it. Afterward Em and I did a couple of laps and did fine.

Tuesday was DnD, which was entertaining. Sarah couldn't make it but we had a massive battle anyway, and once again my character threw himself into the fight, taking shitloads of damage but coming out of it with a smile (grimace) on his face.

Wednesday was the running class again. It was hard this time - run for five minutes, walk for two and a half. It was quite hard, but rather than feeling tired, my calves were killing me for some reason. I did start to get a little bit of a stitch, but it didn't last, which was good.

Tonight was badminton. We went to Steve's for a BBQ, but Rob and Em couldn't make it so there was an excess of food. Despite this, Steve and I both played quite well at badminton and had some good games.

In the last week I've been looking at cars, as the Accord is ridiculous on fuel, and I made the discovery that it's using quite a lot of oil. I don't think it's leaking it so it must be burning it off, although I haven't noticed any excessive smoke. Anyway, I saw a 2000 Astra 1.8 CDX at a local garage on Ebay, so I left work a bit early to take a look. The engine was a bit big but it was top of the range with lots of equipment. However when I came look at it, it didn't grab me, even though it was in nice condition. Also I'd read that the tax was £270 a year because of the date it was registered.

However, next to it was a 2002 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi, which looked OK and I know someone in work who has one and loves it. I had a go in it and it was fine, so I've put a deposit down and will pick it up on Saturday. The 1.4 diesel is good for 60mpg and tax is £30 a year. The only thing is getting my bike in it, but I reckon it'll go in with the front wheel off and the passenger seat forward.

I'll have to get the insurance to overlap so I can take the Accord to the auction. I will miss the Accord though. It's a nice big car that wafts along and is really comfortable, but while I can afford to run it, I'd rather not be spending quite so much on petrol each week.

Not much else to report.

No comments: