Sunday 25 March 2007

The joy of ragdoll physics



http://youtube.com/watch?v=ctNrAaqtu5A

This link is responsible for my reinforced desire to get an Xbox 360. It's great when games let you just try stuff out and have fun in the world and see what happens. The amount of fun you can have just playing around with the game engine is great. And then if you get bored of that, hey, you could go and do a mission or something...

GTA is a good example of this type of game, and Saint's Row looks like it has taken a lot of inspiration from GTA in that regard. I wasn't planning to get an Xbox 360 until October - when GTA 4 comes out. But there are now several games that I really want to play on it. However the point is pretty much moot at the moment as I have a trip to Madrid coming up along with car tax and the Discovery has it's MOT in May. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Isn't it weird how you can get preoccupied with THINGS. I would like to get an Xbox 360, and some upgrades for this computer, I have several guitars and basses that I'd like various parts for, and I'd like one of those electro-acoustic mandolins that look like a mini guitar. Sometimes you just need to sit back and take stock of things and see what's really important. It's odd when it happens though, you kind of sit there and it's like a strange transcendental (is that a word?) experience, and you see things almost from outside. Very odd.

The big problem for me these days is the Internet has made it just so damn easy to buy things. You can find pretty much anything you want, and with a few clicks, it's yours. You just sit and wait for it to arrive, and in the meantime, browse for more stuff to buy. It's absolutely insane. Previously you'd actually have to go somewhere to buy something, and by the time you had, you could think about whether you actually needed it or not.

I realised a couple of weeks ago that I was spending a LOT of time just browsing Ebay for anything, old computers, bass parts, guitars, stuff like that. I realised that having the Internet accessible anywhere was a Bad Thing. Sometimes I'd just lie in bed and look at the Internet on a laptop. It's not a good thing. I mean there's a lot of great stuff out there, but it's easy to just follow link after link after link, and before you know it, hours have passed.

As a result of this realisation, I've decomissioned all my wireless enabled laptops, and forced myself to make this desktop computer the only one I use for Internet access. Hopefully then I can wean myself off the giant information flow from the Internet's vast electronic teat.

I feel a purge coming on. Sometimes you just need to get rid of some stuff that you don't need or want. Years ago the drummer in a band I was in did it. He gave away pretty much ALL of his posessions and said he felt much better for it. Mind you, he did cut himself an awful lot. You could play tic-tac-toe on his arm with all the scars. Oh well. I know I've managed to accumulate a lot of stuff that seemed important at the time but doesn't really now. Odd how your perceptions change like that.

This video is just amazing, I had no idea that you could do this kind of stuff on a ukulele. Tiny instruments like the mandolin and ukulele are quite appealing after the bass guitar because you can make insane reaches. I love my mandolin, I only know two chords on it and I can't play any real tunes on it yet, but it's insanely fun to just play around on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k&

No comments: