Friday 30 March 2007

8 strings = pain and frustration


I think I've said before I like my mandolin. It's small and fun. But I put some new strings on it today. My God, it was worse than the 8 string bass. It is an absolute pain to restring because the strings don't have ball ends like a guitar, they have little loops that fit over small retainers. The 3rd and 4th strings weren't too bad, but the skinny ones drove me INSANE. ARGH. At least it does actually sound better now once it was tuned (another world of pain). I actually thought about just putting it away and getting one of those nice Crafter guitar-shaped ones that USE NORMAL STRINGS!

The image at the top is of a bouzouki. I was actually after one of these when I got my mandolin but they are far less common. It's basically the same but much longer. Also it has a fun name. Bouzouki. Bouzouki. Say it a few times and enjoy it's weirdness. It's basically the same scale length as a guitar.

It was the last ever badminton this evening, boo and hiss. Well, until September or so anyway. I hadn't really realised how much I'd got used to spending Friday evening throwing myself around a court and occasionally hitting a shuttlecock.

The GTA IV trailer looks interesting. It's more like a teaser though, hopefully more information will be released later. The look of the city was pretty amazing, and they have said the trailer was made with real-time footage from the game.

Sleepy now.

No comments: