Friday 16 March 2007

Work, Second Life, Porridge, a Mandolin and an accidentally purchased computer...

Work was the same as usual today. The only event of any real interest (i.e none) was going to install a laptop only to find that the person wasn't in, despite me being assured that they would be. Great. Also it was dress down for comic relief day, which was nice until I realised that my trainers were releasing a rank odour around me. Got to get some new ones. One department spent the whole day wearing pyjamas and selling cakes. It apparently worked as they made over 250 quid. I admit that I had three pieces of their chocolate cake as it was really nice.

I was supposed to play badminton tonight but ended up eating a bowl of porridge with hot chocolate powder in it instead and noodling around on my mandolin. I know that makes no sense at all. I bought a HUGE box of porridge (Scott's Porage Oats) ages ago and I swear it isn't going down at all despite eating it quite often.

I had another play with Second Life this evening. Once again it just confirmed that it is one of the most irritating experiences ever. It takes ages to download the environments and then after you've taken a few stupidly animated steps into a wall you can't see, it crashes. Then you reload to be confronted by a naked guy with wings and a huge deformed penis saying something like "that;s how u like it btch u derty slut o yah". The very first object I ever saw in Second Life after I left the Welcome area was a giant penis with handlebars and it's basically got worse from there. One day I'll uninstall it but I keep feeling compelled to try and track down an area in it where people aren't trying to have glitchy, badly animated sex.

My new computer plans have gone slightly awry. I somehow accidentally ended up buying a Dell Precision 450 workstation on Ebay. Currently it's a single 2.6ghz Xeon with 512mb RAM, hopefully it could be taken up to a dual 3.4ghz Xeon with a decent graphics card if I can get the parts. Oh well, it'll be something to play with until the new Core 2 Duo Mac Minis come out with Leopard.

It's supposed to snow next week. I hope it doesn't because it causes problems where I live, but then again that is why I drive a big polluting 4x4. Also the dog loves the snow, so if it does, at least he'll enjoy it.

Urm. Possibly the most boring blog post ever, but never mind.

No comments: