Saturday 5 July 2008

Fun fun fun

Went over to my Dad's today, with the Behemoth. They've just got a new laptop, which is a Toshiba something. It's got the same 1440x900 resolution 17" display as mine except it's a glossy screen so it was interesting to compare the two. I don't like glossy screens. They do make colours look vivid but the reflections they pick up drive me insane. It's the one thing I dislike about the MacBook.

We went out for their usual coffee and scones in Deganwy before meeting up with one of their friends who sells houses on a new development. She's just got engaged to a property developer who turned up in a Mercedes S-class and regaled us with tales of his friend's £120000 6-litre Bentley which accelerates to 130mph in the length of a slip road. I'm glad the AX wasn't anywhere around. It's a whole different world. Mind you when I took at closer look at his S-class, the 17" front tyres illegally had no tread on the edges and it was only the 320 CDI diesel model. The S-class is a lovely car though, I once had the opportunity to drive a previous generation S500 and it was truly sensational. The 5 litre V8 gave it some serious poke, and it was really pretty quick for something so large.

After that I spent some time reconfiguring their wireless network for maximum security, and sorted out the Vista desktop on the Toshiba, which had gone very strange. Then went on an unsuccessful hunt for a laptop case that would fit the Behemoth. The only ones I could find were stupidly expensive so gave up on that one.

While in Staples, I saw the absolute most hideous laptop I have ever seen, even worse than the pink resprayed Dells that people try to sell on Ebay. It was a HP of some sort. The top half with the (glossy) screen was metallic maroon, and the bottom half and keyboard were some sort of chrome. It had lots of glowing touch controls and it was just unspeakably tacky and awful. It was the laptop equivalent of those enormous stereos that were so popular a few years ago with giant mutated speakers that had flashy labels and things but sounded cack. I'd much rather have something understated, which is one reason why I like the Behemoth. Other than it's tremendous bulk, the silver and white case is reasonably understated and the media controls at the front only light up when you press them. It seems to have been inspired by the Apple laptops, which can't be a bad thing.

Also picked up a bottle of that stuff you chuck into your diesel tank that is supposed to clean out the injectors and the fuel system, making it run better. I have no idea if they really work but it was cheap so why not?

No comments: