Monday 14 July 2008

TVR Cerbera

Quite by chance I came across this video of Jeremy Clarkson testing the then new TVR Cerbera 4.2. I once had a ride in the 4.5 litre version of one of these which was the same updated version as the picture above, except it was black.

At the time I was driving my little 900cc Fiat Cinquecento (a great little car) and I'd never experienced a really fast car. 0-60mph in four seconds comes as a real shock when you're used to a car that would take five times that time to reach that speed. The TVR was a violent, brutal, snorting vulgar beast of a car that roared and snarled. There was no traction control, no ABS, nothing. Within an instant, it would change from a grumbling muttering hulk to a screaming demon, the exhausts bellowing in rage and the tyres pouring smoke into the air. The brakes were also ridiculous, it stopped just as quickly as it accelerated.

Just look at it. It's hugely long and incredibly low. The body is curvy and swoopy in interesting ways. It has gigantic doors that open magically with a touch of the mirrors. The interior looks like the Tardis from the new Doctor Who series, and there's even two rear seats for your dwarfish friends to ride in.

It remains one of my favourite cars that I'll never own. Ever since that eye-opening ride, I've always had a soft spot for the Cerbera.

No comments: