Wednesday 9 July 2008

Pictures and a Megane

Work was meh. Went round to see Andy's new car today, which was good. It's a Renault Megane with the big bottom, but it's a really nice car. I had a quick drive and it feels really solid and pleasant to drive. The colour is nice and is coincidentally exactly the same as the Partsocaster. We took a trip up to the Caerwys McDonalds, which is the first time I've been to one in well over a year.

Below are two pictures of the Partsocaster and the Inspiron as I managed to coax my camera into life using the 360 controller rechargable batteries.

You can see the space where a neck pickup would go. I would like to put one in but I'd like to get a hot rails type one like the bridge. However they don't seem to be made for the standard size Telecaster hole and the Strat ones are too big so it would require some modification, especially if the hole in the body isn't big enough. I suppose if you made a big enough hole you could put a full size humbucker in it but that would definitely need a lot of modification. One possibility is a Fender Lace Sensor I just found on Ebay. I was able to play a passable rendition of Enter Sandman on it earlier, which was fun.


The Behemoth in all it's glory. Nothing interesting here except possibly the German keyboard layout. If I couldn't touch type that could be quite a pain. I put a spare hard drive in on Monday and succeeded in installing an alternate operating system from a certain fruit named manufacturer. It actually ran quite well other then only using a single core, and not having wireless, sound or power management. Definitely a work in progress so back to Vista for the time being.

A Mac laptop was tempting when I was looking around, but the cheapest Intel ones you can get these days is a first generation MacBook for £500, perhaps a little less, which is quite honestly ridiculous when a brand new one is £700. This would get you a 1.83ghz Core Duo, 1gb RAM and a 13" screen with integrated graphics. To get the MacBook Pro equivalent of the 9400 with the 17" screen and a proper graphics card would be £800+ easily for a first generation one.

If you can afford a new Mac it's nice that they hold their value so well, but it's real pain if you're after a second hand one.

The last of my DS games went today, so both the DS and PSP are both gone. Now the deed is done, I do miss the DS. I think I'll pick up a Phat one at some point. I don't really miss the PSP, it was a nice machine but it always seemed slightly smug and supercilious compared to the friendly cheerful DS. Ah well, they've both gone to homes where they'll be used instead of sitting there gathering dust. Odd how your interests change though.

No comments: