Wednesday 6 August 2008

Damp damp damp

Well, I completely misjudged the weather today when I took the dog for a walk. It was warm and sunny so I cheerfully set out in a t-shirt. And about half-way round, it rained. Very hard. So I found myself sheltering under a tree. Of course, the road which is usually dead quiet suddenly became full of cars with people staring at the forlorn figures under the tree. I made my way a bit further on until I found a nice alcove under another tree which kept us completely dry.

Fortunately someone I knew stopped and lent me an umbrella, which caused some stress for the dog as he found the way it suddenly and unexpectedly erected itself rather frightening and if I tried to shelter him under it as well, he didn't like it at all. Nothing looks quite as forlorn as a wet greyhound for some reason. The final indignity for him was when he got in the car, he shook himself just as I was shutting the boot and I trapped his tail in it. Not too badly fortunately but enough to make him squeak and try to run away, but with the car being so small he simply went round in a very tight circle.

I've reinstalled the spare hard drive into the Inspiron and am currently installing XP on it. I'm pretty sure that XP is going to spank Vista completely on the same hardware. I'll probably dual-boot it with Ubuntu as well to see how that runs. I wish Mac OS X ran better on it but the lack of dual-core support is a bit of a problem. One thing that annoys me is when you download drivers from Dell or whoever, they never have useful filenames.

No comments: