Wednesday 27 August 2008

It continues to grow

I came home and didn't feel like doing anything and the weather was looking grim. It's been a bad day, it was stressful and busy and at one point I lost it completely and had two bars of chocolate out of the machine to try and compensate.

But then I decided to have a go at the Monstrosity again. I took the neck off and put a shim in to make it angled a bit to help the setup. Then I attacked the body with a drill so there was enough room to mount the bridge pickup using a (badly) home-made mounting ring. It's meant for a full size humbucker, but it worked OK for the mini one other than the big gaps around it. I then mounted the pots in the control plate and wired it up. It works fine but annoyingly the gap in the body is too narrow for the controls to fit in. I filed it a bit but got tired. They do go in slightly now though.

Otherwise it works great. The two pickups give quite different sounds so you can get different tones out of it quite easily. Also, the nice thing about the rail humbuckers is that there is no buzz at all. The only thing is that for some reason the bottom bass string isn't picked up very well by either pickup, so it's a bit quieter. Not sure if anything can be done about that.

The car is going in tomorrow for the suspension to be looked at. It's a good thing I managed to sell my old laptop today to someone in work.

No comments: