Wednesday 20 August 2008

It roars like a vanquished demon


The Monstrosity finally has a proper voice. I got hold of a pair of pickups and put one in temporarily and wired it up to an output jack. The problem is that I had to make the hole bigger for the pickup to fit and I wasn't really paying attention when I did it so it's off centre.

Anyway, the plan now is to get my friendly neighbourhood carpenter to route out a nice big space between the bridge and neck and then make my own pickguard to cover it up, which will also hide the gap next to the control plate. This will then allow pretty much any pickup combination imaginable. The current plan is to have two of these rail pickups connected to two volume controls and a tone control. Bass pickups might work better though. Or a motherbucker.

With a proper pickup under the strings it sounds quite decent. The setup isn't quite right though, the whole thing needs pulling to bits again and playing with.

The iPod Shuffle started playing a track on the way home which I really liked, but for the life of me couldn't remember who it was. I went through the library for ages and couldn't find it. In the end I had to listen to the tracks before and after it, which I recognised and then look at the Shuffle playlist on the PC. It turned out to be a Frank Zappa track, but in the meantime I rediscovered the joys of Nine Inch Nails.

Also discovered that Amazon has a record of everything I have ever ordered from them. The very first thing I ordered was the Hackers soundtrack almost exactly seven years ago. Scary. Also a few things I completely forgot about. Apparently I have a book about Flea's bass style and technique but goodness knows where it is.

No comments: