Monday 11 August 2008

Just why do these things happen?

Big update once again.

Friday

Had a another go with Bacula and this time it made sense enough to get a machine to run a backup. I'm going to have another play with it some time at home.

Went to see Wall-E again in the evening with some people from work. This was preceded by a meal at Frankie and Benny's, which was good as always. They do really good calamari and calzones.

Saturday

Spent the morning and afternoon at my Dad's as it was his wife's birthday. We did the usual coffee and scones and the fish and chip lunch. We did some work on my car too, fixed the rear light that wasn't working and found out why it was losing coolant. Fortunately this was just a hose clip that had fallen off. There is a droning noise however which is getting louder, which is probably a wheel bearing. Bah.

The evening was spent at Rob's with the usual crowd. The point of the evening was to watch the new Futurama, but stupidly I didn't put it in the car in the morning and didn't have time to get it. So we watched various TV shows and played some silly games. Will and I also had a go at networked Defcon, which was actually pretty good fun.

Sunday

Didn't do much, just watched an awful lot of random Futurama episodes. Also rebuilt the Eee with Windows XP, which runs nicely on it. This was a bit fraught as I didn't have any CD-ROM drive that would work on it, so I had to use some complicated way of doing it where you set up a pendrive as a boot device and use that to install the OS. It worked, but was a touch complicated.

Today

Nearly ended up with a Jack Russell this evening. I was walking past the old school and saw this cute little one just stood there. After persuading Sandy and it to be friends I found he didn't have a collar or anything to identify him. I wasn't sure what to do because it didn't look like a stray, but fortunately the owner suddenly arrived on the scene and was very grateful that I'd held onto him until she arrived. Apparently they'd just been washing him and he'd wandered off, hence why he didn't have a collar.

Also returned the umbrella I borrowed back to it's owners, which was good as I got to see the house that I helped shift the timber for last year. It looks great now that it has the outside walls all done and the roof. It was difficult to visualise it when it was just a frame, now it makes much more sense.

No comments: