Wednesday 28 January 2009

An OS but no computer

I've said before about my attempts to get an IBM RS/6000 or Pseries capable of running AIX 5.3, so I could have something to practice my newly acquired l33t AIX skillz on. Sadly, the machines that have come up have either been too expensive, too large, crap, or very far away. However, I did find a media pack of AIX 5.3 on Ebay, with the latest technology level (Dec 2008), for £25. Given that AIX media is ludicrously difficult to get hold of, I snapped it up. So now I've got the operating system, just no machine to run it on. I wish I did as it's an interesting OS. Unix at heart but with its own twist on things.

Also ended up with a sat-nav. Being left alone in Bangor yesterday with no idea where anything was and a PC World with a sale on led to, well, you know. It's just a basic Tomtom One with UK and Ireland maps, but it works really well.

The eating well thing took a bit of a dive yesterday and today was going well until the late afternoon when myself and a colleague got into a discussion about Indian food. Sadly the idea didn't leave my head and I ended up with a takeaway. I went a bit over the top, not quite an atlas moment (Andy can explain) but it was getting there. Oh well.

No comments: