Tuesday 20 March 2012

Repair is fun

Sunday consisted of having a bonfire, washing the car and then...yeah, more ME3. I loaded my evil Shepard into it, recreated his curious face and set off to be a bastard. Within the first half hour he told his love interest from the first game who he cheated on in the second game that he didn't like her any more, and then went and beat up a team member up in the shuttle bay. The good Shepard had the same fight, but in his case it was a friendly one. The renegade options leave them both rather more bloodied. I really didn't mean to play it too much, but 5 hours passed without me noticing.

Yesterday was good for a first Monday after a week off. I hadn't even made it to my desk before someone told me a consultant was coming in to look at the backup system. He didn't talk much, just sat there all day and hoovered up as much data as he could, and then said that it was indeed broken, and he didn't know how to fix it. Unlike others though, he said once he'd had a chance to go over the data, he'd come up with a plan - hurrah.

D&D last night was really good fun, with an inventive and interesting battle in an apartment. However, one of the party predicted poor rolls that evening, and sadly she was spot on. We all rolled really badly, but I think I had the most spectacular fail when I rolled a D20 and got a 2. I used my action point to reroll it and got a 1, damaging myself. What was even worse was that I earned a new spell last session and it was my first attempt to use it.

Today was OK in work, had a bit of an issue with one of the server backups, which took some fiddling to get it working but it was eventually fixed, which was satisfying. Eating fail today though, I had a Snickers from the machine and a Kit-Kat fell out as well, so double fail. Then on the way home I got an Indian. Argh.

But this evening I actually did something that didn't involve the Xbox or stuffing my fat face in front of a DVD. My Galaxy S, which is an awesome phone, was getting more and more battered. The rear cover was disentegrating, and the camera lense was pretty badly scratched. I looked on Ebay and found a set of a rear cover and the internal rear case with the camara lense for £15, brand new. So I got it. It was quite easy to install, just take out seven small screws, unclip the cover and put the new one on. It works fine and now looks almost brand new again if you don't look too closely at the front bezel. I'd really like to get an S II but they aren't cheap enough yet.

The new iPad is rather impressive. I still don't quite know what I'd do with one and I still dislike the locked down iOS. The better CPU, more RAM and stuff is all well and good but the screen is bonkers. 2048x1536 in a 10" display is completely insane. There are reports that the new graphics chip needed to drive the display is running too hot. Shame Apple are really going for the 'if it breaks, buy a new one' by making all their devices impossible to repair and being very strict in obsoleting older devices with OS updates. The worst laptop repair I've ever done is a keyboard swap on a MacBook. It's nearly a good design with the whole top coming off, but it was held on with a stupid amount of screws of random sizes.

No comments: