Sunday 9 February 2014

A laptop with a tent mode

The rest of last week was fairly OK, with only a bit of an issue in work with the SAN. As my manager is in Ethiopia and he's the one who knows the most about it, it was up to me try and fix things. Not that we managed much over the weekend.

Friday evening was uneventful. Yesterday morning I headed to the gym and had a decent workout. I tried the treadmill again at a slightly slower pace and got on with it fine, although my calf muscles still hurt after I stopped. The rest of it was fine.

After that it was off to Steve's to watch the rugby with snacks aplenty. It was a good day, we watched the Wales/Ireland game which was a disappointment since Wales played appallingly, and then the following England game. After that we hung around and watched a bit of the Sochi games and headed home.

Today has been focused on one thing: starting the third season of Breaking Bad. I guess I really should have done some more tidying or something, but the weather hasn't been right for it at all this weekend.

The computer development is a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13. It's the clever folding back on itself one that can become a big tablet or can be put into 'tent mode' to view the screen and things like that. It is going to replace the M11x. I left it downloading various updates and things while I was watching Breaking Bad and by this evening it's got most of what I need on it.

The thing is pretty thin, but despite that feels very solid. It has a typically good keyboard as you'd expect on a Lenovo, although the layout is a little odd. The trackpad is fantastic, although because it's so big it can get in the way a little. The build quality is very good indeed, but not quite as good as the Thinkpad version that is being deployed in work to some users. Despite the thin design though, it's actually possible to upgrade the RAM to 8gb (not sure if more is possible) and install a second mSATA SSD, which is good to know if the 128gb one becomes a little cramped.

So far the only real downside is that the keyboard isn't backlit, which is a bit of a downer after the Alienware. It also has a strange function where the F9 key instantly switches the screen off, which led me to think it was broken or something when I hit it by accident thinking it was the trackpad disable button. Oh well.

Not much else to report on the whole.

No comments: