Tuesday 4 February 2014

All good fun

It's been a good week on the whole. The weather was a bit flaky last week so I went to the gym in the evenings and didn't get a chance to repeat the running session from Monday. I was brave though and ran on the treadmill for the first time in ages. However I put too much speed on I think so my legs suffered rather.

On Thursday we went to Rob and Em's to watch The World's End. I had no prior idea what it was about, which was definitely for the best, and we all really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see afterward how many people seem to dislike it when compared to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but I thought it was great. And it was fun to see what they could do with a huge budget.

The weekend was good too. It was the beginning of the Six Nations, so we all piled down to Rob and Em's again to watch it, with the usual large quantity of snacks and then Chinese in the evening when Jane was there. It was a great day, had an ace time.

On Sunday it was the christening of my friend Amy's daughter Phoebe. I'm not good in churches, but it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure if the priest sensed my lack of enthusiam for being there, because after he'd chucked water on the baby, he came out with a bowl of water and flicked it over everyone else as a sort of baptism refresher, and I'm sure he targeted me on purpose. After that there was a do at the local rugby club, which was good fun and it was also good to catch up with everyone. We also got to meet another friend's baby for the first time after she was born not long after new year.

Running was OK again on Monday, this time it was three seven minute runs. I have to admit I found it harder than last week, and there was a nasty hill. Not long, but steep and for whatever reason it winded me and I struggled to get my breath back until we walked again, and then I was OK. Tonight there was no DnD as Rob couldn't make it so we went to circuit training. It was pretty hard - despite doing other exercise, I did find it difficult.

Tonight has also been the first geeky evening I've had in ages, since most of my evenings recently have been either continuing the South Park binge or watching Breaking Bad. I'm halfway through season two of Breaking Bad and really enjoying it. I've also nearly finished season 9 of South Park.

The geekiness today was setting up one of my spare gutted Latitude E4300 laptops with the Windows Hyper-V 2012 Server, which is free. I thought it would be interesting to compare it to the other E4300 which is running the free VMware ESXi. So far it's been a bit troublesome and it took a while before I could get the Hyper-V Manager on my Windows 8 machine to even connect to it, but I think that's not helped because I don't have a domain. Anyway, I've got it to the point where I can create and run virtual machines at least, and it's nice that the management tools are built right into Windows 8. So far so good anyway.

I'm always a little surprised at how well the gutted Latitudes cope with this kind of thing. Despite being utterly not what they were intended for, they run the virtualisation stuff rather well with a second hard drive stuffed into the optical bay. They could do with some more RAM though, 4gb is rather limiting. Neither of them has batteries either - if they did it would be handy in power cuts like last week when some work was being done on our electrics and nobody told me that the power was going off.

In other news the 206 went in for it's MOT yesterday. I was fully expecting it to fail, but much to my astonishment it passed fine, with the only thing being a numberplate bulb. It also had an oil and filter change done at the same time.

No comments: