Sunday 24 January 2010

Fun weekend

Saturday consisted of spending much of the day round at my Dad's, as my cousin was visiting. We set him off on the Pier-to-Pier 10k from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay with a lot of other nutters. To be honest, I'd love to be able to something like that but I'm just not built to be a runner. The evening was spent with Andy and Maz, eating a rather delicious curry with suitable accessories, ice cream, and watching Charlie Brooker and some of those police chase programs, good fun.

Today was spent getting back into Battlestar Galactica Season 2 with a vengeance after a long break since about November or so, while in between episodes going to put coats of primer on the bass body being used in the great paint experiment. I put several coats of primer on it before the can ran out and it looks OK. It'll need some smoothing before I start putting the chameleon paint on it. There's three cans for that, a black base coat, the colour coat and the clear coat. I hope there's going to be enough - I think I'll need two complete sets of it if i'm going to do the double neck in it. The plan is to build the experimental body into a working bass even if the paint doesn't work out, to try out active EMG electronics. This is the first time I've tried to paint a bass body properly without just splurging paint all over it in a great mess so we'll see how it goes.

Watched six episodes of BSG and it's really rather good and surprisingly easy to get back into after the long break. I was quite surprised when it was first broadcast and people said it was good, but I've really enjoyed it.

The naff car stereo is still working OK and the overly bright display was cured by putting parcel tape over it. Makes it look rather shit in the daylight but since I'm just using the Aux input it doesn't display anything useful anyway. Also replaced the door card but still can't work out what happened to the speaker wiring - looks like someone just ripped the speaker out, wiring and all. It's possible to get a complete new wiring loom for the door but installing it would be rather a hassle. Bah. Annoyingly my faithful iPod Shuffle has developed an annoying fault with the headphone socket where the plug has to be pulled slightly out to get a proper signal. It's getting on for five years old now though, so it's done quite well. Still holds a good charge too, so it's frustrating that what is probably quite a simple fault can't be repaired.

No comments: