Tuesday 12 January 2010

Smell

Weather not improving. Snow on track unchanged although most roads are clear now. Very windy today, not helping matters.

Had epic lunch in work, a panini from the deli with brie, cranberry and salami. Absolutely stunning.

Up to Hogfather in the Discworld reread, what a great book. I'd forgotten how good it was. I hated the TV versions they did of that and the Colour of Magic though, what a load of crap they were. Mind you I fully admit I've read the Discworld books so many times that I have my own very definite ideas about what it should look like. Same with Lord of the Rings, although that was better. Also David Jason as Rincewind? Really? That really didn't sit right with me.

Tired. Bored. Pissed off at being stuck at home without water. Need a shower.

German is complicated but fun.

Have ordered another of the bodies that the double neck was made of. I've got enough spare parts to build it up into a complete bass, so I'm going to follow the exact process I did to build the doubleneck and then strip it back down and paint the body, to see if I can do it decently. If all goes well, will order more of the paint and do the doubleneck body. Not particularly looking forward to pulling it to bits again but it will need some sort of finish on the body eventually.

Need to list more crap on Ebay but don't want to until the weather has sorted out in case it cocks up postage. Boo.

Not convinced this Precision M65 is quite happy yet. The Nvidia GPU still gets very hot if it's asked to do too much. Tempted to try the copper mod, where a small shim of copper is placed between the heatsink and the top of the chip to make better contact and improve heat transfer. Might be worth a go as I think the heatsink wasn't making proper contact with the chip, causing the original thermal shutdown issues, and the thermal paste I added (Arctic Silver 5) is helping but it's not quite right. Either that or get a motherboard from the Precision M4300 which has the Santa Rosa chipset and can handle 4gb RAM properly. The 32gb OCZ SSD is working OK though, not the fastest SSD around but it seems quite responsive and snappy. Still not quite the time for SSD yet, give it another year or so.

Face itching, haven't shaved in ages due to lack of water.

No comments: