Tuesday 26 January 2010

Things can change in an instant

Wow, how things can suddenly change. Found out yesterday that my cousin who I went to Berlin with has breast cancer, and the Unix guy in work is off sick for three weeks. My cousin is going in for tests for the next day or so and then gets the results on Friday. It's definitely going to need a masectomy though - what a nightmare. After the surgery it's going to mean six weeks of convalescence and she's not going to be able to do much at all during that time.

The Unix guy was in the middle of sorting out the high school server backups, quite a large and urgent project as the old servers need to be backed up, but at the same time, are about to be replaced with new ones. I've been drafted in to help with that. Also three of the virtual Unix machines are playing up since a power cut over the weekend, and I can't work out why. Fortunately they are only two test machines but it's a pain not knowing what the problem is. I'm going to dig out my home AIX machine to play with networking, but if it's a problem with the hypervisor or something I can't test that on it.

No comments: