Friday 16 July 2010

Energy drink fuelled geekiness

Payday, so filled the car up with petrol. While doing so, picked up a can of Relentless. I don't know why, I always regret it.

I got home and having drank the can and caught up with my e-mails, descended into a sort of rage, grabbed the PC I built last year but never really used (triple-core AMD with 4gb RAM) and decided I would use it for something. I stuffed three laptop hard drives in it, crammed in a network card and installed ESXi. Having done that, needed to find a purpose for it. The way my machines work at the moment is they all back up to a virtual machine on the first ESXi machine called Storage1. So the idea is to have another VM on the new ESXi box called Storage2 and use a spare VM on the first ESXi box to synchronise the two. However, since this machine uses considerably more power than the Atom based one, I don't want to leave it on all the time, so it would be nice to somehow automate all this, perhaps using wake-on-LAN to power it up, synchronise the data and then shut it down again. Not sure if that is possible.

So there we have it, my exciting and fun filled Friday night.

Tired of this now, I've been a lazy fat bastard fuck for the last couple of months, eating like shit, drinking too much Coke again and not really achieving anything. Just not sure why I lack the motivation and willpower to do anything about it.

Much to my surprise the little BlackBerry 8310 is working out rather well. As I've used one in work for so long it feels very familiar, and I like the way it handles texts. It works so well that the only thing that makes me think about something else is the rather rubbish 2mp camera, but perhaps it's about time I got a proper camera again instead of relying on phones.

No comments: