Saturday 3 July 2010

Argh...hurl...*SMASH* *TINKLE*

So today we did overtime. There's a site closing which used to house the offices for the schools ICT section, and we had to clear out all the crap that was there. And there was a LOT of it. Tons and tons of old machines, monitors, software, accessories, and quite a lot of new stuff that just hadn't been used. We found several shrinkwrapped copies of MS-DOS 6, ludicrous amounts of Windows 95 copies, absolute shitloads of old floppies (AutoCAD on floppy!), and a load of old PCs and servers and stuff. Spare parts for ancient Macintosh machines, ROM cartridges for BBC Masters? All there. The PCs and monitors had to be put aside to be disposed of properly, but other than genuinely useful stuff, it all went in the huge skip, which was very satisfying. Hurling it all in there was very therapeutic.

Afterwards, I picked up a ver cheap external DVD burner to get the MacBook up and running. It allowed me to install Snow Leopard and wipe the hard drive. Since I hardly ever use CD drives these days I thought I might as well get an external one rather than replace the internal drive as I can use the USB one on other machines. If I see an affordable screen after next payday I'll pick it up as when it flickers, it's annoying, although it doesn't do it all the time.

It's quite worrying how natural the Mac feels to use after so long of using other operating systems. It seems to perform well despite it being one of the earliest first generation MacBooks although I'm sure it could use some more RAM.

No comments: