Tuesday 15 November 2011

Lost cause?

Work was OK today. The backup system was still shit but behaved itself more than it has done. Had training for the shift around we're having so I can handle being on the front line of the helpdesk. Should be interesting, not been in that role since my last job that I got made redundant from almost exactly seven years ago.

Went to the gym after work. Had a really good session. Got really into it and threw myself into all the exercises so I felt great afterwards.

I sourced a working motherboard for the project Precision M90. Given that the motherboard was utterly destroyed with actual burn marks where it had shorted out from liquid, I was sceptical that the CPU and graphics card would have survived. But much to my astonishment, once it was rebuilt with the new board, it fired up fine. It complained about the power supply since it needs a 130w one but after I hooked up the 240w PSU from the M17x it was happy. It booted up from a Linux live CD perfectly. So now it just needs a hard drive caddy, battery and power supply and it's good to go. The graphics card is a 512mb Quadro 2500M that costs about £150-200 to buy used so it's great that it works.

No comments: