Wednesday 30 November 2011

Strike? Really?

I went into work, and expected it to be quiet and empty. Not a bit of it. The building was packed, it was just like a normal working day. There were five people picketing at the entrance to the car park who were largely ignored and they seemed to get bored and go away before lunchtime. Mind you I don't know what it was like in the other council buildings. It seemed rather strange after seeing all the stuff going on in the news.

Didn't sleep well last night, woke up at 3am and didn't get back to sleep so I left work a bit early and came home and had a nap, something I very rarely do.

Had a retro computer chat with a guy in work, reminiscing of the old PC days and the old Acorn machines. Inspired me to fire up the emulator I've got of my old Archimedes. I'm always amazed at the letters I wrote to my brother in the mid 90's, great long things with rambling details of whatever computers or basses were interesting me at the time, almost autistic in nature. Very weird to look back at them.

Also found my attempts at making raytraced drawings using the Acorn port of POVRay. It was so frustrating as rendering even tiny images was horrendously slow and waiting an hour for an image the size of a playing card to render and then find there was something wrong with it was so annoying. I had some prerendered images and there was one of a geodesic dome which I was always amazed by. I just googled it and found the original creator and an ultra high resolution version of it. It's weird how now I've got machines lying around as scrap that have more computing power that I could even dream of back then, but today somehow I lack the drive to try things out that I had back then. Hmm, that's given me something to think about actually.

No comments: