Thursday 29 December 2011

The next dimension...?

Today was the slowest, dullest day in work ever. Barely any calls came in to the helpdesk, the calls that were outstanding couldn't be done because nobody was in and the new wake-on-LAN system that's supposed to let us boot up PCs remotely doesn't work, and it was really quite tedious. The backup system had a few wobbles but they were largely due to external support trying to fix things. We did have a bacon butty in the morning. I think I've actually managed to make myself sick of crappy food and drink in the last few weeks, which is quite an achievement.

The car is making a lot of noise from the exhaust and it's clunking under accleration, like the exhaust is now loose. From what I can see it's got a split by the middle silencer. I'll have to get it looked at tomorrow since it looks like it might be actually hanging down. Shame it didn't make it to next payday but I can't begrudge the car anything, after six months of being hammered up and down the track, I can't complain that it hasn't required anything but diesel and tax.

In a move that many might regard as totally insane I've traded up from my DSi XL to the 3DS. I've not really been keen on the 3DS before but now it's picking up some momentum after the price drop and some decent games are coming out - namely Super Mario 3D Land. It's like a weird mixture of New Super Mario Bros and Mario 64, and playing it with the circle pad on the 3DS is absolutely brilliant. The DSi XL is good but I found the massive pixels really irritating.

As to the 3D, my prior experiences with it earlier this year in Berlin shops weren't great and in theory I shouldn't see the 3D at all due to my problems with binocular vision. But when the device isn't strapped to a display cabinet and you can hold it in the right place and calibrate it, it's actually fine. If it does become a bit much, the 3D can be switched off and the game looks pretty much just as good.

No comments: