Sunday 10 June 2012

Blackpool

Went up to visit my cousin Pauline on Friday evening. We had a pretty good weekend, and it was fun hanging out. We didn't eat very well although she managed a 2.5 mile run while I was snoring the morning away.

We explored Blackpool a lot more this time and I thought it was OK. I've never thought of it as a place I'd specifically want to go before but I enjoyed it a lot. It's very British somehow. We went up the Tower and had a look down through the scary glass floor, and had a ride on one of the posh new Flexity trams, which was good. Pauline had done neither of these things, despite living in the area for quite some time. I do wonder if Blackpool was improved by the bright sunshine and ice cream, much like Skegness was last week. Interesting how I've been to two major seaside resorts on either side of the country a week apart.

While going up the Tower we saw the ballroom, which despite it being midday was in full swing with music and couples dancing around. It was somewhat strange but also interesting to watch. We also saw the Comedy Carpet on the promenade which turned out to be unexpectedly brilliant. It was great going round reading all the quotes. I was particularly fond of the Monty Python section, and even spotted some Hitch-hiker's on there. Examining it was made interesting by the Blackpool Triathlon, which was going up and down the prom and then they finished by running over the Comedy Carpet. We actually saw the winner finish with a time of 2:21 I think it was, and he looked terrifyingly fit. Then saw him later on nearly driving his car into one of the new trams, perhaps due to tiredness. Oops.

I don't know what Blackpool is like later on but I suspect the evening and nightime probably turns into alcohol fueled carnage like Cardiff does so it's probably less fun around that time. Also we were there on a Sunday and not in the height of summer, so that probably meant it was quieter than normal. But I was still surprised at how much I enjoyed visiting it. Like Skegness, it's what Rhyl wants so hard to be.

No comments: