Sunday 7 October 2007

ARGH! Computers suck!

Why do computers crash when something that takes a while is nearly complete? I was copying my MP3 collection to a network share from the iBook, when it suffered a kernel panic with 97 files remaining. It's probably the second or third time I've ever seen it crash like that in five years.

Also my 80gb external USB hard drive has somehow become unusable by any machine. The only one that even sees it is there is the iBook and it says the partition information is corrupt. It's not making any bad noises, so I could probably put the bare drive into a laptop and reformat it that way, but why can't it just work?!

Bah. Sometimes I wish computers were simpler again. I had a quick play with a Tandy 200 earlier today, which was nice. It's very basic, but is quite versatile and is quite capable of talking to Linux over an RS232 connection. It also has a very, very nice keyboard.

No comments: