Saturday 13 October 2007

Firing up the old PS2

It must be said that since I got my Wii and 360, the PS2 has been sadly neglected. Mainly because there wasn't a spare power socket for it and so it had to share the power cable with my practice amp. However with the Optiplex now storing my MP3s on the internal hard drive rather than an external one, I was able to plug in the PS2. Impressively, after about 6 months unplugged, the clock was only half an hour out. I used to think the PS2 was noisy, but after the roaring behemoth of the 360, it's fans are like a gentle breeze.

The main game I was last playing on the PS2 was Canis Canem Edit. Will, Rob and I went and got this on the day of release last year, and it's an excellent game. It's basically GTA in a school, but what makes it work is all the little details. I remember the hilarity when in the first few seconds of playing, Will pressed the wrong button and smacked a girl, incurring the wrath of the headmaster's secretary and having to escape. This is like when we first played GTA: San Andreas and failed the impossibly easy first mission because a Spitfire dropped out of the sky and exploded, killing the guy who was trying to show us where to get pizza.

One of the fun aspects of Canis Canem Edit is goading girls into fighting by kissing one after the other. The same works if you use the controversial 'warm tea' feature where you can kiss some boys, if you get them jealous, they beat the the living shit out of each other which is far funnier.

There's going to be a version of this game coming out on the Wii and Xbox 360 and I'm quite tempted to pick it up again and play it through again. I'm at about 52% complete at the moment.

No comments: