Tuesday 29 January 2008

Catastrophe!

Got the house to myself so I fired up my old cranky Carlsbro 100w bass amp, which takes a lot of fiddling with crackling knobs before it will work. I've had it since I was fifteen, and it was a good few years old then.

I was happily playing the 8-string through it and one of the octave strings snapped. Balls. I can only find one source for a set in the UK and I can't afford it right now. Plus it needs the normal gauge strings replacing too, so it's probably going to be £30 or so to replace all 8 strings. Bah.

However I got out the old 1-string and found it was rather fun to play it through the big amp. The sound was surprisingly fat and it actually sounds really good. I had such a good time playing it that I might look into making a 'real' 1-string bass.

One of the TV programs I occasionally watch is Dragon's Den, because of the occasionally insane idea that people try to sell and it can be quite funny.

No comments: