Monday 23 June 2008

Busy day

My hopes for a peaceful Monday were dashed the instant I entered the building. I quickly received a call that there was a loud noise coming from the server room and the door was hot to the touch, which pointed to air conditioning failure. Nobody had been able to get in because it's kept locked so I had to leg it and get the key.

Upon opening the door, the caretaker and I were almost bowled over by the heat and the sound of screaming fans as the servers tried to cope with the sauna-like conditions. The air conditioning had failed. So we spent the next few minutes opening the window and stealing a load of desk fans from various desks to provide some airflow. Eventually the room cooled down a bit and the fans began to spin back down. Amazingly none of the servers had crashed. The air conditioning was fixed by lunchtime and the room returned to it's usual tranquil calm.

I was bombarded with calls all day long, everything from a blue-screening PC to misplaced phone numbers to a laser printer with a hole in it, causing me to dash around like a demented bluebottle all day long.

It was a relief to come home and take the dog for a walk. Other than that watched some more Doctor Who and things.

No comments: