Friday 20 June 2008

Frankencaster

The Frankencaster

I put this together this evening. I had decided a while ago to put humbuckers in my £15 Squier Strat to stop it buzzing. But the humbucker pickguard I bought didn't fit properly. I didn't feel like putting it back together and wondered what to do. The other thing I didn't like about it was the tremolo because it made it really hard to keep in tune, and I wondered about blocking it so it didn't move.

Then I remembered the metallic blue Telecaster body I bought a long time ago. Some investigation showed the Strat neck fitted but the holes in the body were too narrowly spaced. After attacking them with a drill, I found the neck bolted on fine, although there is a gap because Strat necks are rounded at the end and Telecaster necks are square. Also the headstocks are different so it looks unusual.

All the black hardware I bought for the quilted maple body fitted near enough, and so it should work fine. Not all the screw holes for the pickguard line up but that isn't a major issue. The reason it has a single string on it is because I was using it to make sure everything lined up. I think the blue and black go together pretty well.

I managed to find someone in work to buy my Xbox so I've put that towards the remaining parts I need - a pickup, controls, various screws and an output jack. I've only gone for one pickup at the moment even though it has space for two, as I'm still not too good at the wiring side.

No comments: