Wednesday 25 June 2008

Woohoo, soldering

Got a new soldering iron for a mere £8.50 today and some new solder for 85p. It revealed just how shit my old iron was. Solder melts in an instant, attaches to anything I want, and basically it works really well. I was able to complete the wiring for the Telecaster (other than the pickup) and resolder some joints I wasn't sure about, with no problems at all. Hurrah.

Just waiting for the pickup to arrive. Once it arrives I can finish the wiring, put some strings on it, and see if the damn thing works. I hope it does. The wire I used was some cloth covered wire I had lying around which looks nice and vintage but is a bit of a pain to strip.

If it does work and actually play, I'll take the Squier logo off and put one of these on it:

Looks close enough to a Fender logo but not. If I was building a copy of a Jazz copy I could put his interpretation of the logo - a Fecker Jizz Bass. Hmm. Or perhaps it could be a Fecker Testicaster. Not keen on that either...

Spent some time GIMPing an image of a Telecaster which would have two bass strings and then two dual course octave strings. The idea being that you'd have bass and other sounds on the same thing. No idea if it would work in reality but it was fun doing it. It would probably be easier to use a short-scale bass in reality.

No comments: