Thursday 6 November 2008

Laptop geekery

Spent the last couple of hours having geeky fun with laptops. First I examined a Dell Latitude D400 I got off Ebay which I was hoping would replace the MP3 playing Optiplex. Tatty and scratched, it lacked memory, hard drive and battery but I hoped it would still fire up with some RAM in it. Sadly it seems to have a dead motherboard. However, every executive a few years ago was being issued with the slimline D400, so parts are plentiful. Everything else looks OK so a new motherboard should do the trick and I have everything else it needs. I didn't realise the CPU was soldered to the motherboard in this model though, so there went any hope of putting a faster CPU in it.

Some people restore watches, paintings, cars. I restore laptops. I find troubleshooting and repairing laptops very satisfying, especially if they have to be taken right apart and cleaned up.

The next thing was trying to work out why Vicky's Eee PC had a wonky keyboard. Half the keys don't do what they should, almost like the 'fn' key is stuck down. I popped the keyboard out of my Eee 900 and tried it in hers, and it worked fine. So now I'm trying to find a replacement keyboard for it. Surprisingly, given the success of the Eee, parts are quite hard to get hold of.

No comments: