Saturday 12 June 2010

Enough

Tired of being lazy and fat but just can't get motivated, which is really annoying me now.

After seeing Andy's 5800 and being quite impressed by it, I was idly looking up how much they were going for on Ebay recently when I spotted a battered N97 going for very cheap. So I picked it up. It's not that different from the 5800, just has more features and storage, and a flip out QWERTY keyboard. It was supposed to be the absolute flagship of Nokias range.

Unfortunately the general consensus is that they fucked it up by skimping on the CPU and RAM even though the rest of the hardware was pretty good. The result is that it sometimes struggles if you try to run too many applications at the same time. This one was cheap due to a hell of a lot of wear including some noticable scratches on the front and on the camera lense (a design fault with the cover that slides over it). However both these parts are easily obtainable and so the plan is to fix it up as and when funds permit. The other part that is broken is the keylock switch, which is annoying as the only way to unlock it is to open up the keyboard. Given the abuse this phone has had, the rather complex hinge is actually completely solid. It reminds me of the old Psion PDAs except they broke a lot.

I've wiped it and upgraded the firmware, although the Nokia software only updated it to the v20 version and not the v21 for some reason, but it's still a big improvement. So far I rather like it, although I think it's because I'm so familiar with the Series 60 platform. Compared to the iPhone or the newer Android handsets, it is quite complicated and can be sluggish. One thing I do like is that it has 32gb storage onboard, and a MicroSD slot, so in theory you could add another 32gb and have 64gb total. Which is quite frankly bonkers. It uses the same battery as the E90 which is a bonus. Despite the rumours of sluggishness, it does feel snappier than the E90.

No comments: