Sunday 10 July 2011

A Soggy Quest for Doritos

Went out this morning to the car boots as I hadn't been for a while. The only thing that was at all interesting was a Peugeot racing bike but it looked quite knackered and would have been an arse to get home as it didn't have quick release wheels and I don't really need another bike. Would have been nice to have a matching Peugeot bike and car though.

After that got the ingredients for chilli and came home. Except I realised I'd forgotten to get nachos and to me, chilli is meaningless without nachos. So I went back to town to get some. I timed this badly. By the time I hit the outskirts, it was raining. When I got into town itself, the rain was insane. At one point I stopped at a junction and had a moment of panic because the whole road was covered in flowing water which made me think the car hadn't actually stopped. It took three shops to find some Doritos. On the way home it stopped raining again, like it never had. How weird.

Made chilli, consumed it and put some into pots for work. It was really nice. Spent the rest of the afternoon faffing around on bass, doing some more stuff in Dragon Age and reading. My Telecaster copy is in trouble and needs a new bridge which is frustrating. I've found myself using it rather more than I used to. Also had a look at the strings on the Ashbory and the G-string snapped all over the place, having gone all hard and weird. Fortunately had spares. Strings are easy to put on, just tie a knot in each end but then getting it tuned is a pain in the arse. I must look into some of the Pahoehoe strings for it as they are apparently much better than the silicone ones that come it as standard.

Reading a book by Stephen King called Under the Dome which seems to be a rip off of the Simpsons movie to some degree but I'm not sure which came first.

So far have done about 280 miles in the 306 and it's still got well over half a tank, which is great. Less great is the acceleration. It's not too bad but after the rev-happy Focus, the diesel is a bit of a culture shock. Shifting down a gear and booting it in the Focus would cause the car to leap forward, in the 306 it just makes a lot of noise and doesn't achieve much.

Oh well. I'm quite enjoying the more relaxed driving style and once it's actually up to speed it does cruise nicely. Airbag light still off, yay. Found the splash guard in the driver's side front arch is misaligned so there's a big gap - need to sort that before the track gets muddy again.

No comments: