Thursday 5 January 2012

Multi-Mega

The first day back in work was quieter than expected but there was still qutie a few expected password resets.

My head didn't feel quite right in the morning and by the end of the day I was feeling pretty rough. Yesterday I woke up feeling awful so I spent the day in bed shivering a cold sweat and generating a ridiculous amount of snot. Strangely though, in the evening I needed something to eat and so I ate a Chow Mein Pot Noodle which seemed to have miraculous powers as I felt better almost immediately.

Back in work today although not quite 100% and my voice went all weird and husky which made the phones a bit of a trial. Was very relieved when it was hometime as I was rather tired by then.

Not really much else to report. I went looking for stuff in the spare room and found the Sega Multi-Mega that I got at a car boot sale years ago for I think a tenner. Remembering they were quite rare I had a look online and was rather astonished to see them selling for something like £200-300. I hooked it up to a TV and found that while it loaded cartridges OK, the CD drive didn't spin up disks. But I stuck it on Ebay anyway, someone will probably want it. Somewhere down there is a Spectrum 48k which probably isn't worth much as they made quite a lot of them, but I think also there is a Spectrum +3. That's the one with the disk drive and is probably a bit more rare. Plus a NES and a SNES and some more Megadrive stuff and I think there's an Atari ST too.

Not much else to report. My sense of the week is all messed up with the bank holiday and being ill yesterday, doesn't seem right that it's Friday tomorrow.

Due to being ill my attempts to eat healthily didn't really work out and I haven't done any exercise. Bah.

Thought of a use for the now working Precision M90. It can become a retro emulation machine. It's got plenty of power to run emulators for everything up to and include the N64 and possibly PS1 too, so that can be something to do when I'm bored. After firing up the Multi-Mega and playing a bit of Gods, there is definitely something to be said for running the original hardware. But these days emulators can even simulate old TVs, and modern controllers are a definite plus - Mario 64 with a 360 controller is an absolute joy.

My Dad used to listen to a tape of Variations an awful lot when I was about 10, weird to hear it and see it played live. I've just realised this is why I like the sound of a cello so much. This guy playing an electric one is quite epic - The Cellonator, even if he does seem to be enjoying it a little too much.

No comments: